As IM, we will build upon our 5 years of providing outreach HIV testing (HCT) to this population. We will link to the VHTs and ensure that they have the necessary training and equipment to provide basic services to their communities. IM will then visit each community monthly in order to provide an integrated package of services that are not within the remit of the VHT i.e. HCT, HIV prevention services, family planning, immunization and robust referrals for HIV care and treatment. IM will work closely with government bodies such as MoH, Entebbe Hospital, LCI and VHT. A trained network of identified peer educators will support and supplement the activities of the VHT through community mobilization and by providing health education through dance, music and drama.
Approximately 20,000 men, women and children residing in the 11 targeted fishing communities of Makusa, Lwamunyo, Kitufu, Lwazi, Zzinga, Nangombe, Nsazi, Nakiwogo, Kigungu, Kasenyi and Bussi
I) To prevent HIV/AIDS and other STDs
II) To reduce child morbidity and mortality rates
III) To prevent and treatment malaria and other communicable diseases
IV) To improve on water and sanitation conditions
V) To advocate for behavioral change among the youth living on the islands
VI) To encourage community participation in prevention, care and treatment of HIV/ADS.
VII)Strengthening the referral system
Prevention of HIV/AIDS and other STDs
· HIV counseling and testing (HCT)
· Psychosocial support and treatment for children living with HIV/AIDS and their families.
Reduction of child mortality rate and morbidity
· Provision of care and quality service to children following the Ministry of Health (MoH) protocol on immunization and treatment
· HCT services to the Island community
· Evaluating the services given to the people.
· Carrying out children’s club activities e.g. games, trauma assessment, and spiritual support
Prevention and treatment of malaria and other disease
· Treatment and distribution of mosquito nets
· Health education on leaving in a conducive environment.
· Treatment of any identified cases of malaria clinically.
Encourage proper sanitation and safe water Usage.
· Health education on safe water and proper sanitation
· Co-ordinate government intervention in the provision of proper sanitation and safe water in the islands
· Providing bio sand filters to the local communities
Advocacy for behavioral change among the youth living on the islands
· Carry out workshops and seminars on the Abstinence, Being Faithful and Condom Use (the ABC strategy)
· Encourage the youth to come for HCT outreaches.
· Development of and training of peer leaders.
· Organizing sports activities, as a strategy for advocating for behavior change
Encouraging community participation in HIV prevention, care and treatment activities
· Organizing workshops and training of community volunteers and village health teams (VHT)
Strengthening the referral System.
· Developing a communication System from the fishing communities the hospitals, health centers and HIV managing center.
· Develop a system of boat Ambulance to help strengthening the referral of pregnant mothers.
· Develop community mobilisers to help the transportation of patients to the nearby centers.
1. Based on an analysis of IM capacity, obtain training in specific areas e.g. safe male circumcision, family planning and data management
2. Conduct meetings with VHTs in order to assess their challenges and their training and equipment needs
3. Identify and ensure training of peer leaders in each of the 11 targeted communities
4. Procure additional needed equipment e.g. circumcision kits, tents, tables and chairs
5. Support peer leaders to conduct weekly community education outreaches and home visits
6. Monthly outreaches to each community in order to provide an integrated package of services and in order to provide support and supplies to the VHT. IM services will include distribution of condoms, provision of HCT services, psychosocial support to people living with HIV and their families, treatment of STIs, family planning services and HIV prevention services.
1. Stigmatization related to HIV testing and the results
IM will ensure confidentiality for everyone undergoing testing or receiving treatment and will encourage couples to receive HCT together
2. Domestic violence related to issues of HIV prevention methods and family planning methods
IM will ensure strict confidentiality and will provide counseling and education to those seeking services and also to the community at large. IM will also partner with so that they can provide community education through dance and drama
3. Safety of outreach team related to crossing water and related to working with these sensitive issues in such marginalized communities
IM will ensure training in water safety, will ensure life jackets are available to all team members and will put in place clear policies related to water safety. Additionally field teams will be trained to handle issues sensitively and will always liaise with community leadership in the conduct of their activities
4. Exposure of field team to health risks such as bilharzia, malaria and dysentery
IM will ensure that strong prevention, screening and treatment protocols are in place
5. Inflated or unrealistic expectations of target population
IM will engage the community leadership and will provide regular communications and updates to the target population via the community leaders and the trained peer leaders